PH.D. Department of Psychology, Human Science Faculty, University of Maragheh, Maragheh, Iran
Introduction: The present study was aimed to predict social intimacy by early maladaptive schemas and attachment styles.Method: This descriptive study was conducted on high school students. In the study, about 400 subjects were selected as the sample through multistage cluster random sampling technique. Data collection was done by using Young's Early Maladaptive Schema Questionnaire, Hazan & Shaver Attachment Style Questionnaire, and the Miller Social Intimacy Scale. The data were analyzed by Descriptive statistics, Pearson correlation and enter regression analysis.Results: The results showed that early maladaptive schemas and insecure attachment styles are not able to predict social intimacy. This is while, secure attachment styles have the ability to predict social intimacy and that; social intimacy has a significant negative relation to insecure attachment styles and early maladaptive schemas.Conclusion: According to the research findings, secure attachment style is a good predictor of social intimacy. It seems necessary to pay attention to secure attachment style in order to increase social intimacy.
- Noller P. Feeney J A. Peterson C. Personal relationships across the Lifespan. New York: Brunner- Routledge.2001.
- Petersen AC. Adolescent development. In M. R. Rosenwein (Ed.), Annual review of psychology.1988; 583-607. Palo Alto, C. A: Annual Reviews, Inc.
-Bagarozzi D. Enhancing intimacy in marriage. USA: Brunner-Routledge.2001; 25-6.
- Harris AN E. Curtin L. Parental Perceptions, Early Maladaptive Schemas, and Depressive Symptoms in Young Adults, Cognitive Therapy and Research.2002; 26, 3, 405-416.
- Bowlby, J. Attachment and loss, Vol1. 1969. Attachment. New York
- Young JE. Cognitive therapy for personality disorders: A schema-focused approach (3rd Ed.). 1999. Sarasota, FL: Professional Resource Press.
- Csukly G. Telek R. Filipovits D. What is the relationship between the recognition of emotions and core beliefs: Associations between the recognition of emotions in facial expressions and the maladaptive schemas in depressed patients? J Behav Ther Exp Psychiat.2011; 42, 129-37.
- Young JE. Brown G. Young schema questionnaire- L3a. Cognitive Therapy Center of New York: Authors.2003.
- Cockram D. Drummond P. Lee W. Role and Treatment of Early Maladaptive Schemas in Vietnam Veterans with PTSD. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy. 2010; 17, 165â182.
- Mandelson P. Maladaptive schemas in non -clinical adolescents: Relations to
Perceived parental rearing behaviors, big five personality factors and psychopathological symptoms. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy.2008; 13, 40513.
- Wright MO. Crawford E. Del Castillo D. Childhood Emotional Maltreatment and Later Psychological Distress among College Student: The Mediating Role of Maladaptive Schemas, Child Abuse & Neglect: The International Journal. 2009; 33, 1, 59-68.
- Baranoff J. Oei T P.Young Schema Questionnaire: Review of Psychometric and Measurement Issues, Australian Journal of Psychology.2007; 59, 2, 78-86.
- Bowlby J. Loss: Sadness & Depression. Attachment and Loss (vol.3), (International psycho-analytical library no.109). London: Hogarth Press.1980.
- Ainsworth MD. Blehar MC. Waters E. Wall S. Patterns of attachment: A Psychological study of the Strange Situation. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.1978.
- Main M. Kaplan N. Cassidy J. Security in infancy, childhood and adult-hood: A move to the level of representation. In I. Bretherton & E. Waters (Eds.), Growing points of attachment: Theory and research (pp.66- 104) (Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development.1985; 50, 1-2. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Wearden A. Peters I. Berry K. Barrowclough CH. Liverside T. Adult attachment, parenting experience, and core beliefs about self and others. Personality and individual difference.2008; 44, 1246-1257.
- Platts H. Mason O. Tyson M. Early maladaptive schemas and adult attachment in a UK clinical sample. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory Research and Practice.2005; 78:549-564.
- Miller RS. Lefcourt HM. The assessment of social intimacy. Journal of Personality Assessment.1982; 46(5) 514â 518.
- Hazan C. Shaver P. Romantic love conceptualized as an attachment process. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1987; 42,511-542.
- Young JE. Klosko JS. & Weishaar, M.E. Schema Therapy: A Practitionerâs Guide, New York: Guilford. 2003.
- Collins NL & Feeney BC. Working models of attachment shape perceptions of social support: Evidence from experimental and observational studies. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 2004; 87, 363-383.
- Kaftsious K. Attachment and emotional intelligence abilities across the life course Personality and Individual Differences. 2004; 37, 129â145.
- Steiger RS. Parenting and attachment: an examination of mediation and moderation in the prediction of adolescent psychopathology (Unpublished doctoral dissertation).Simon Fraser University. 2008.
- Haddadi Koohsar, A A. Relation between emotional intelligence and quality of attachment in high school administrators, presented in the 1st national congress on social factors effective in college student's health oct. Tehran, Iran 2010; 13-14.